So you would like to do the job as postal assistants, it’s good, but you must know each factor about postal assistant exams. The article will provide you a proper guidance that what is the postal assistant exam, eligibility criteria, selection procedure, how to get selected, how to prepare, how to crack and every single important point to prepare to make a career as a postal assistant.
Updated on 1-3-2014: Postal Assistant Recruitment 2014 Notification – 8243 Postal & Sorting Assistant Posts – Closing date till applications must be received online is the 27th March 2014 up to the time 23:59 hrs.
About Department of Post
Department of post is one of the largest departments in India having more than 5 lakh employees in all over India branches. There are lots of branches, offices and offices in all over Urban India and rural India. There are total 22 postal circles in our country further divided into divisions. You can know more about the India post department here.
Eligibility Criteria for Postal Assistant Exam
- Age: First of all, we consider the age of the candidates who should be the minimum of 18 years and maximum of 25 years. The date to determination of age is the last date as mentioned in the advertisement/notification issued by post office department /department of posts itself.
- Qualification: The candidates who are interested to make the career as postal assistants in the post office must possess 10+2 or 12th class from the recognized board in India. The English subject is required in the 10th and 12th class. The language which is required to apply is the state language in which the candidates belong. The aspirants who have higher qualifications can also apply, but the state language and English subject is required.
- Computer & Typing Skills: The knowledge and experience in computer basic are also required to apply to the post. Typing speed in Hindi should be 25 words and 30 words in English per minute.
Selection Procedure for Postal Assistant Exam
The selection procedure for the postal assistants is a bit different from other competitive exams. As the marks obtained is also considered along with the written exam marks. So we will define here step by step. So the candidates can understand properly and prepare for the same.
Concept: 40% weight-age (Marks obtained in12th class) + 50% (Marks obtained in aptitude test) + 10 marks for computer test & typing skills.
Step 1: In step 1, the marks obtained in 12th class will be considered. Suppose you score 60% marks in 12th now the weightage will be added 40%, which are 24 marks.
In the previous year exam (2012), no weight-age was given for marks obtained in the 12th class. So it depends on the notification/advertisement rules and regulation.
Step 2: in step2, the candidates will be called for the aptitude test. The criteria to call for the aptitude test is 10 times of vacancies.
In the previous year (2011) exam, only five-time candidates was called.
Step3: The aptitude test will be held, which contain the subjects English, General Knowledge, Mathematics and reasoning and analytical ability.
Step4: The typing and computer knowledge test, which contains 450 words of English and 375 words in Hindi.
Step5 concluding Step: After complete all the test and adding weight-age to the final marks. The call letter will be issued by the department of posts.
Departments for Postal Assistants
- Army Postal Service
- Circle office & Regional Office
- Foreign post offices
- Mail Motor Services
- Post Offices
- Postal Stores Depots
- Railway Mail Service
- Saving Bank Control Organization
Postal Assistants Salary
Currently, according to the government pay scale, the pay scale/ salary of the postal assistants is Rs. 5200/- to 20,200/- plus grade pay of Rs.2400/-
Duties and Roles of Postal Assistants
The candidates who are interested to apply for the postal assistant should know the duties and roles within the department. So they can adjust them accordingly.
First of all, as it appears from its name, the main duty of postal assistants is disposal of mails with maintaining its records. However, the duties may be different in each department where the placement will be done.
Syllabus for Exam
- Aptitude Test: The syllabus for aptitude test contains the subjects like English, Mathematics, Reasoning, General Knowledge and analytical ability. The paper will contain the total of 100 questions with 1 marks of each question. The duration of the exam will be two hours. The total marks for all the subject will be 100. The classification of marks subject wise is given below. 1) 25 Questions on General Knowledge – 25 marks, 2) 25 Questions on Mathematics – 25 Marks, 3) 25 Questions on English – 25 marks, 4) 25 Questions on Reasoning and Analytical Ability – 25 Marks
- Typing test: The duration of the typing test is 30 minutes containing 450 words of English paragraph and 375 words in Hindi with a minimum speed of 30/25 words.
Preparation for Exam
There are lots of resources to prepare for the postal assistant’s exams like books, coaching institutes, online coaching classes and self-preparation. However, we are here giving the best resource which you can use for preparation of postal assistant exams.
- Books: 1) Postal Assistant/Sorting Assistant Recruitment Exam: By Kiran Parkashan 2) Postal Assistant Exams Preparation: By Samuel Sower 3) Postal Assistant Recruitment Test: By Jain
- Free Online Preparation: Join our RecruitmentNews facebook page, we updated daily post questions free of cost. You can prepare here free. Download our 201 questions of Quantitative Aptitude with evaluation software. You can use other free resources on the net to find out like “Previous year questions papers of Postal Assistant Exams, free books download for Postal Assistant test. Join various Facebook pages which prepare for the competitive exam.
Dates for Next Postal Assistant Exam
The official dates for next postal assistant exam is not yet announced. But don’t worry, we update you whenever the departments announce the vacancies via notification or employment news. So stay with us by subscribing to your email ID. We will update you through email. In the meantime, you can explore other government jobs and exams by various Government department.
Past recruitment exams: The following are the old vacancies which last date has expired.
- Jharkhand Postal Circle Postal Assistants Recruitment 2013 (No Vacancy Yet)
- Maharashtra Postal Circle Recruitment (No Vacancy Yet)
- Kerala Postal Circle Recruitment (No Vacancy Yet)
Open Vacancies in Various Postal Circle Departments
- Updated on 1-3-2014: Postal Assistant Recruitment 2014 Notification – 8243 Postal & Sorting Assistant Posts – Closing date till applications must be received online is the 27th March 2014 up to the time 23:59 hrs.
Info-graphic about Exam
The quick way to know about postal assistant exam…